We’re serious about forklift safety, and you should be too. If you’re a forklift operator, this guide will help keep you, other workers and visitors to your site safe.
There are three main reasons workers are killed or seriously injured in forklift incidents in NSW:
1) Being hit or crushed by a forklift
2) Being hit or crushed by a load that the forklift is moving
3) Being crushed in a forklift tip-over
Watch out for people. “Keep ‘em separated”. Consider installing guardrails or overhead walkways to separate forklifts from pedestrians.
SAFETY GUIDE FOR FORKLIFT OPERATORS
Belt up: Wear your seat belt
Fully loaded, a standard forklift and its load can have a combined weight of five or more tonnes. In the event of a sit down counter balance forklift tip-over or collision, operators are more likely to be killed or seriously injured because they were not wearing a seat belt.
Your instinct may be to jump free from a forklift in the event of a tip-over, however when doing this, you risk being crushed and killed by the overhead guard.
· Ensure that a seat belt (or other restraint) is installed on the forklift, and is in good working condition
· Always wear your seat belt
· Remain seated and do not lean out of the forklift
· In the event of a tip-over, don’t jump, brace your feet, hold tight and lean away from the point of impact.
EIGHT SIMPLE SAFETY TIPS:
1. Always follow the site safety rules, traffic management plan and safety instructions from your employer.
2. Ensure your forklift licence is current.
3. Check your forklift daily before use and report any faults or damage.
4. Reduce speed on smooth or slippery surfaces.
5. Stick to the speed limits.
6. Avoid hard braking, speeding, turning on sloping surfaces, driving with the load raised, sharp turning, or travelling on an incline with the load facing downhill.
7. Consider regular forklift safety and refresher training.
8. Wear high visibility clothing and other appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Information for this article was sourced from www.safework.nsw.gov.au. For further forklift safety information contact MLA Holdings on 131 652 or www.mlaholdings.com.au
Download PDF here